Wednesday 19 October 2011

The Bigger Picture

It is easy to tell what is going wrong in our communities, and complain about it. It takes a few members of the community who not only spots the problem, but tries to understand it and find its real root, and proposes a solution to it.

Many people in our countries have probably noticed certain issues that are becoming alarming. But how many of them have actually tried to seek for the ‘why’ and the ‘how’ of these phenomena? What is preventing them from doing so?

I like to think that ALA has equipped me with the right mindset not to limit my understanding of issues to assumptions. The education I am receiving here is not only providing me with the right tools to approach a problem, it is also inspiring me to always look to the bigger picture. Here, I have learnt to discover what I believe to be my purpose, what I am passionate about and how to go for my dreams. All of those are rooted into giving back to my community and working towards its development.

One of the problems I think deserves some attention today in Africa is certainly stress. A great majority of our societies are not individualistic. The group decides for the individual and problems such as stress are not recognized as real problems. The word ‘stress’ does not exist in many tribal languages in Senegal for instance. And as development and globalization are now surely reaching Africa, the stress level of people is expected to rise for many different reasons. This phenomenon is definitely one thing I am decided to look at in my Scientific Research journey, and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment